
We had a cozy craft afternoon at our house on Saturday, post rainy-day outings. Ate some popcorn and a chocolate cookie, worked on long overdue projects...you can see above that Clara and Amy were engaged with all things pins. Hand quilting for Amy, pin-sticking for Clara. I got to finish this great reading pillow project from a pattern by the oh-so-talented Meg of

I suppose it's a little sad that I started it with the hopes of finishing it for a baby shower in SEPTEMBER and then missed baby's OCTOBER birth, but I was daunted by my first piping and realized after I'd gotten all excited to do some embroidery that I didn't really know how to do anything other than backstitch, split stitch, french knots and lazy daisies. And I'll throw in the excuse that I had first trimester exhaustion back then and then had my cerclage surgery. Still, pretty belated. Once I finally got going though it came together pretty well and I know it's the best kind of present because I'm super jealous and wish I had one for myself! Isn't it the perfect gift for a nursing mama? Though maybe better for a newly nursing mama of one than of a nursing mama who is trying to fend off an attention-craving toddler while feeding baby. Ha. The piping actually looks better in real life than it does in the photos, believe it or not. It turned out to be fairly simple. And yep, that's hedgehog fabric. I was dying to find the perfect use for it.

Sans book

Oops! Made that mushroom a little close to the edge! Next time I'll remember to figure in the seam allowance. :{

The little mushroom collector, from
this Japanese embroidery book I found at Uwajimaya.
3 comments:
I wish I were a seamstress so I could reciprocate (I was all "piping, French knot, lazy daisies, wha?). I feel like the luckiest Mama in the world with my new pillow (and uh, the kids). It is simply gorgeous. And hedgehog!
I love love love the pillow. Hedgehogs forever!
By the way - the next time I see you remind me to tell you about my midnight ride through New Orleans in Colleen Salley's car. She's the best!
I'm coming on here way late to comment, but just had to say I LOVE this reading pillow! I've had the pattern for a month now and just can't decide on the fabrics. After see what you did, I am very inspired! What a great present!
Post a Comment