Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Valentine Tea

We finally had our Valentine Tea on Monday after postponing because of all the sick kids. Jolina hosted the kids last year with handmade ribbon skirts, tablecloths, bibs and napkins, special Valentine cups, flannel nightgowns, Valentine sewing cards and a follow-up DVD of the event that Clara watched until it would play no longer. I did not even attempt to fill her shoes, I'm sorry to say! I managed to make felt headbands for the girls and a finger puppet for Ryan, cute and easy little boxes for placecards, and these candy heart mazes. We had frozen watermelon pops, "inside-out cupcakes" with chocolate in the center (last year Natalie didn't like frosting!) and some healthy snacks like heart-shaped jicama, sliced pepper and cheese sticks, which all remained virtually untouched. :) I had to forgo the tablecloth for fear that Ellis would yank it to the floor, so cut heart doilies from napkins. For the tea I made an herbal hibiscus-raspberry and then put heart-shaped juice ice cubes in them. We don't have juice around here very often, but I think I might start making juice ice cubes whenever we do so I can pop one in to cool and sweeten a child's tea or put them in a smoothie (since I'm always lacking juice when I want to make one for Clara). Very handy. The decorations on the cupcakes are fruit roll cut with scissors--a pretty good frosting alternative, really.

Kiara
Natalie
Ryan
Clara
Eva
Who knew drinking tea could be so exhausting? :)

No comments: