Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Long Wait

Here is Clara, upon hearing that she would not be able to open the package that came in the mail yesterday from Cousin Beth until her birthday. Yep, that's a tear you see over on the left. I know it was evil of me to snap a photo of her tantrum, but it was so dramatic I couldn't resist. I thought the reaction was funny until a package came today for Clara from Mahar Drygoods (think I know who this one's from!). It was all I could do to get that one into the closet without opening it myself. I cannot wait to see what's in it!!!!!!Speaking of long waits, the last few days with Clara have been the dream a mama waits for. Although I'm not that excited for her to grow up as fast as she is, I must say that there are some things about almost-2 that are fabulous. TIME, especially. She just isn't as constantly demanding as she was even a few weeks ago. She has always spent hours a day reading, but until now she mainly wanted us to read to her--now she often slinks off to look at books on her own. She's always been good at playing alone, but she also liked someone there while she did it. :) Yesterday and today marked the first days I've allowed her (and she's agreed) to play in her room by herself while I baked, unloaded the dishwasher, cleaned, ironed or cut out a pattern downstairs. I had the monitor on and could hear her up there saying things like "I made you an egg, Bear! Oh, Bear, be careful. It is very hot. It needs to cool." It's felt like fall here this week and I can't tell you what a lovely domestic mood I was in, baking muffins (honey-yogurt, they were just okay) in a clean kitchen while my little girl played peacefully upstairs. On top of that she was quite content yesterday to help me sort laundry, put away her bibs and washcloths, dry the dishes as they came out of the diswasher, and was fantastically more of a help than an hinderence to household tasks. And we've had two days where she's told me when she needed to use the potty, made it through three-hour-outings each day in dry pants, and used a PUBLIC bathroom, which was a first (though they did have a low toilet meant for kids). We are, for now, in underpants all day except when she's sleeping. Wow.

No comments: