Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Proud

The look on her face just about says it all! This is the placemat we made for her teacher's baby (due next month). It's the one you may have seen her working on in her backstitch tutorial. Clara embroidered the plate on the mat and guided the machine for the napkins. I'll admit to being a teeny bit disappointed in it--certainly not because she didn't do her best, but because I'd envisioned it looking a little more 'kid done!' I had a similar feeling when I saw the writing on her birthday card to Ellis with all that lowercase and no sweet three-yr-old letter reversals. I still can't believe her even little stitches. It was fun to watch her increasing independence and to see her so proud of her efforts and her final result.
starting out
removing ink
snipping threads
those crazy little stitches!
back of mat with silverware pocket
finished place mat with napkins (click photo for close-up, Grammy!)--she was suitably fearful of the sewing machine running over her fingers, but was excited to have her first experience sitting in my lap at the machine.

5 comments:

Jolina said...

wow I cant believe that was all her work.. she is amazing!! Hope all is well with you guys..

Melissa said...

How wonderful! She is very talented :) Thank you for your comment on my blog.

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

it looks fantastic, she should be so proud, plus she's totally adorable, I'm so impressed

Jamison said...

I love this project! I would like to try it with my own little one. What kind of fabric did you use? Did you pre-wash? Thanks for the inspiration!

The McAuleys said...

I did prewash--the fabric is just a plain cotton I got at Joanne's (I think it's their Kona Cotton). The fabric for the print side is a canvas I got from Superbuzzy, but I've made other mats with just plain quilting cotton and they work fine. There is a layer of flannel in between the front and back for stability. Let me know how yours turns out! :)