Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On-The-Go Treats

We are always on the lookout around here for good snacks to throw in our diaper bag, swim bag, park bag, whatever. I would love to say that Clara eats the raw veggies that I always pack for her, but, alas, that would be a bit of an untruth. She eats plenty of fruit, but I love having recipes for simple things with whole grains and nuts, too. Enter our new favorite cookbook, The Petit Appetit: Eat, Drink and Be Merry. I loved the first Petit Appetit book, too, especially for the baby and toddler years, but this one is so awesome for lunch and snack ideas for preschoolers. I'm sure it's a good party resource as it is marketed, but don't let that discourage you from checking it out for everyday use. Here are this week's offerings, the energy bark that has become a favorite around here and a new attempt, what Lisa Barnes calls Crunchy Cupcakes (sort of like Rice Crispy Treats, but much better for you). Clara helped make both--very kid friendly recipes. For the bark we substituted puffed millet for 1/2 of the almonds (since we had it around and it was cheaper than getting a whole cup of slivered almonds), and for the crunchy cupcakes I used puffed kamut instead of puffed brown rice because, again, it's what we had in the pantry. Both substitutions were great. We've also been enjoying her wonderful recipe for homemade ginger soda--much lighter than store-bought ginger ale, super easy, and uses agave nectar in place of sugar or corn syrup. This is Clara, snacks packed, for her first day of day camp this week. I forced her into the pants, but she was otherwise her normal pristine self. And here she is after day 2 of said camp. The messiest she has ever been. Believe me, the photo does not do it justice. She was caked in dirt. It was awesome. :)

1 comment:

Jolina said...

I wish we had a bunch of day camps for the girls to go too!! How fun for Clara. I cant wait till VBS starts.. This year Eva will be old enough to attend a few.