Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pompons

Clara loves to make gifts, and I'm always looking for ideas of things she can do for friends for birthdays, etc.  We saw this doll house in a store window and Clara's favorite feature was the use of pompons for bushes.  (Not sure if that's a feature of the house or just a clever display job by the store). Which made me think about the birthday we were scheduled to attend the next week and, aha!  
We used this tutorial to make our pompons.  By accident the rings ended up having two differently-colored sides, which was brilliant.  We pretended that one was the pool side and one was the concrete side, and that we needed to make sure our yarn dove into just the side with the water, not the side with the concrete.  She was working in the other room when I was in the kitchen and I could hear her call out from time to time, "Oh, no!  He almost dove into the concrete!"  I think next time I'd even make one side blue and one white, just to make that image more fun. 
Trimming the pompon was a favorite task for Clara.  She needed a lot of supervision for that phase, as I think we may have ended up with little stumps otherwise.  It was hard to stop giving pompon haircuts.  Sorry about the upside-down photo, not sure how that happened, seeing as I rotated it to the correct orientation earlier.  Hmm. 
Ta da!  The finished present.  Who doesn't love pompons?  I think they'd also look very cute in a cupcake wrapper enclosed in a clear bag or tiny bakery box.  

3 comments:

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

wow I totally remember loving making these when I was little

Vivian said...

I was inspired by your video of Clara doing the backstitch to start teaching Vivi to sew. Not much progress yet, but you and Clara are a real inpiration.

Jamison said...

I had a thing for these when I was a kid and I would carry the ball of fuzz around and pull one out and call it a warm fuzzy. Once received you were suppose to tie it on your tennis shoe lace. Until now that was a lost memory :)