We're on the economy plan for the holidays over here--knowing that many of you are, too, I'm going to try to put up a few posts about gifts that are easy and inexpensive to make, or that children can participate in making and giving. Today I've got some mama-made crafts: in the last 24 hours I stitched up these cute little items, one for a birthday gift and the others for Clara's school auction. I didn't have to buy a single thing to make them! Each can be made with 1/2 yard or less of fabric.

This is the
free Lazy Days Skirt pattern from the amazing
Oliver+S. It is super easy and looks so polished at the end, thanks to using the selvages so you have a finished inside seam and because of the fantastic
ribboned-hem method. This skirt will be a stand-alone gift thanks to the budget plan, but wouldn't it be an irresistibly adorable present packaged with a jump rope?!

These nifty aprons are designed to allow young children to put them on and take them off independently. They are a Montessori by Hand pattern (now
Sew Liberated). I included a recipe card with a recipe for scented play-doh (see below). If it were a gift, I'd help Clara make a batch of play-doh to give with the apron, and maybe package it with some plastic cookie cutters for the dough or a little rolling pin. Or you could have your child make a batch of
these easy and delicious treats to accompany the apron gift. So get crafting!
SCENTED PLAY-DOH
For children old enough to know not to eat it. ☺
1 C flour
1 TBS vegetable oil
1 pack unsweetened Kool-Aid in desired color/scent
¼ C salt
2 TBS cream of tartar
1 C water
Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid in a medium pot. Add water and oil. Stir over medium heat 3-5 min. When mixture forms a ball in the pot, remove, cool slightly, and knead until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in a ziplock bag.
3 comments:
I hear you there on the budget thing for the holidays.. We are trying to do all hand made gifts for the girls.. except probably santa's gift. I already had that picked out a long long time ago!! I cant wait for my first project to be done!! It seems to be taking forever since there are sooo many pieces to it! Cant wait to get the girls together for santa time!!
Great ideas! I need to make both the skirt and apron for O. Thanks!
Very nice. I love the print.
Post a Comment