Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Sweetest Ever.

I was in the bedroom with Ellis today but could hear Clara out in the living room chattering away with what I refer to as her "busy talk." Basically non-stop narration as she works. I heard her talking about Ellery and Olivia, which surprised me a little--we haven't talked too much about their birthday other than to briefly talk about what kind of cake to make. But when I went to check on Clara, she had the whole contents of her sewing box out on the floor. "I'm making a shirt for Ellery and Olivia for their birthday," she said. "And I'm going to wrap it and make a card." These are the results of her enthusiastic efforts--so very sweet. The hardest moment for me was when she wanted to draw Elle and Livi on her card and asked, "Mama, what color are their eyes?" "I don't know," I had to say, "because they were too little to open their eyes." She drew Ellery with blue eyes closed and Olivia with brown eyes open. "This is Ellery pretending to be a spider," she said. "And this is Olivia pretending she is a spider AND pretending she can open her eyes!" I wish I could pretend that, too.

1 comment:

pdxkatie said...

You just pinged my heart - or rather Clara did. Wow.