Monday, July 14, 2008
Pinwheels
Here was today's Muffin Tin Monday offering:
Clockwise from left, PB&J pinwheels, easy lemon and garlic quinoa salad from "Feeding the Whole Family," yogurt, cheese slices, peas and tomatoes. I'm sure everyone in the world knows how to make pinwheels, but I'd never done it. Just in case you haven't either, here's a quick tutorial. First, cut the crusts off of two slices of bread:
Next, overlap the pieces a little.
With a rolling pin, flatten them out so they join together into one thin rectangle.
Spread your filling onto the bread, then roll it up. If you put on too much of a squishy filling (like I did with the jam), it will ooze out the ends and accumulate at the end of your roll, so don't use too much.
Slice your roll into rounds. I think this would be easier if you put them in the freezer for about 15 min. before slicing, and a serrated knife worked better than the one in the photo.
Ta da!
Ours weren't the most beautiful ever, but I think using a jam that was less juicy, being a little more sparing with the spread, and sticking the roll in the freezer for 15 min. before slicing would improve that. I've heard of making them with cream cheese and jam, bananas and honey, smoked salmon, cream cheese and mashed avacado, egg salad with watercress, etc. I think I'll try them again with something else in them--it's time for me to realize that I have a child who really does not like peanut butter. She's fine with peanuts, but she does not like peanut butter with honey, with jam, in cookies, in muffins, on celery, or, apparently, in pinwheels or anything else. I think I've subjected the poor thing to enough trials. She's been a good sport about trying everything. Time to move on. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
clever and yummy as usual. Glad you're back. We missed you last week.
You are so right about that book. I didn't even put the two together. ha! thanks for the chuckle.
I hadn't tried the pinwheels before (great idea!), but gave it a go this morning for T's preschool lunch. I used just one slice of bread, almond butter only (no fruit spread) and left it as a roll. So, technically not a "pinwheel", but I thought it'd be easier for him to eat and less mess for the teacher. And you know what? For the first time, he actually ATE his entire sandwich at school. I've tried all sorts of cookie cutters (grilled cheese cut in a fun shape and stuck on a popsicle stick), different fillings, fun cuts, etc. The grilled cheese came close, but today the entire sandwich was actually eaten. I'm a happy mama who will be rolling out and rolling up his sandwiches from now on. Thanks!!
Psst. Love the new blog title. :)
Post a Comment