Thursday, March 22, 2007

Grammy to the Rescue


Yesterday I'd already exhausted coloring and play-doh to get a batch of brownies made and was just contemplating which mess would be less horrific, watercolors or pouring rice, in order to give me time to make a marinade and handle some raw chicken for dinner when MAGICALLY the UPS man delivered a big box from Grammy. Grammy's moving, and packed a bunch of my old dolls and toys to send to Clara. Ta da! Hours of mommy-free entertainment! Fantastic! Gave me time to tackle the new recipe and clean up the kitchen, and Clara had so much fun. In fact, after her nap she wasn't quite ready to get up and fell asleep again in my arms. When she finally woke for the second time, she sat straight up with saucer-wide eyes and called out, "DOLLS!" She must have been dreaming about them.

On a side note, the box was good for a mama's soul, too. There is something so "full-circle" about watching your daughter play with toys you remember loving. The box was also full of little dolls my mom and aunt made for me when I was young, coincidentally arriving at the very time I've begun making my first handmade toys for Clara. I've finished two little felt houses you can hide things in and the day the box arrived I also cut out the pattern pieces for a stuffed rabbit I'm hoping to finish for Easter. It felt so much like continuing the loving, creative legacy that shaped so much of who my cousins and brothers and I have become.

No comments: