Sunday, November 22, 2009

It Begins!

Clara has been really interested in both letters and numbers lately. She had a good little independent writing stint awhile back and then stopped for a long time, only writing if I spelled for her or if she was pretend-writing (lots of speedy scribbles with a few letters thrown in for good measure). But things really seem to have kicked in this week and boy, is she excited about it. She did a crazy dance after finishing these today, whirling around and singing "I can write and soon I will be able to READ!!!"
Did you figure these out? Shark, ghost, butterfly, monster, forest, walnut. Ha. I do not know why she wanted to write walnut. It cracks me up when little kids want to write the w sound and say "wh, wh...Y!" Makes sense to me! Shark and ghost were hers on her own, and Amy helped her hear some of the sounds in the others while I was on a walk with Ellis. This next one was all on her own:
I can't remember all of these, but see if you can find:
Crow, dog, cat, bat, bam, pot, block, fish, cow (and no, the green 'KO' is not cow).

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

Hi Kirstin & Amy...I first met you on the MISS Forums after you lost your beloved girls Ellery & Olivia, then followed your journey with Clara. So hard to believe how big and delightful she is now. I'm thrilled that you now have Ellis in your family...she seems like a spirited, go get 'em girl indeed.

I found your blog either via Lissy or Karin's and have been meaning to post and "out" myself.

When my (now almost 16yo) daughter Matilda was just showing interest in letters, sounds and how they combined to make words her favourite thing to do was to write our shopping list.

I still have many of her efforts in her memory books but the very first one reads...

PS (peas)
SWET PTATO (sweet potato)
EKS (eggs)
BERED (bread)

I love the way that Clara turned CROW into a two syllable word "KO-RO"...that's really clever.

She is right, she will be reading in no time, it's such an amazing time for little ones and their parents.

Lovely to catch up with you all again. I believe you are in Portland, is that right..?? My sister and BIL live in Portland and my Mum & Aunt have just come home from a five week trip and found Portland enchanting. I'm hoping to be able to get our family over while they are living there still, hopefully within two years or so.

Warmly,

Kerrie

raku said...

ok, before I read on I thought "walnut" was "Honolulu"! I guess that's what happens when you're listening to "Christmas Island" while blog surfing...but I am really impressed either way, walnut or Honolulu.