Friday, November 20, 2009

So Sad To See This Go...


Clara and her friends made this play mat for her school auction. I think we're going to have to bid on it, I love it so much. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would! I love the details of the little vegetable garden and the cherry tree with branches that hang to the ground for climbing. She said she's going to make one for Ellis for Christmas, but you know how it is when you try to have a child reproduce or make another version of a craft you loved, it's never quite the same. Clara used fabric marker and fabric crayons to make the play mat and then some of her friends came over and they all made creatures to play on it. I tried to talk some of them into doing vehicles, too, and more animals, but they were pretty into fantasy creatures. They also chose the fabrics they wanted to back their drawings and then Clara and her friend Josefina stuffed them with PolyFil and I hand-sewed them closed.

One of my favorites, Clara's fairy. Doesn't she have funny flea-like legs?
The creatures, clockwise from bottom left: Princess (Clara), Alien (Josefina), Gardener (Josefina), Frog (Clara), Ghost (Clara), Snake (Zadie), Ballerina (Zadie), Fire Witch (Max N), Fairy (Clara), Mermaid (Clara).

If you live in Portland, Clara's school auction is actually a pretty great event. There is an evening opener that is more adult-oriented with wine and such, and then a Saturday event with live music, storytelling, face-painting, etc. There are photos up of all the kids and they each do a piece of artwork for the auction. But there is also a ton of artwork for sale by professional artists as well as handcrafts, gift certificates, etc. It's a great place to score holiday gifts. I made some kids' activity kits to auction and my friend Jennifer donated some fabulous items from her new children's bookstore, including a $25 gift certificate. This year's auction is at the Chelsea Ballroom (1510 SE 9th Ave.), 6-9pm on 12/4 and 11 am-2 pm on 12/5. Let me know if you want some raffle tickets! ;)

Art and correspondence kits made by me (kids' kits have stickers, markers or colored pencils, notebook and pen), there are two at the auction.
Green Bean Books pack with gift certificate, handmade finger puppet, really great coloring book and one of the kids' activity kits. Thanks, Jennifer!

1 comment:

Abrewgal said...

Your items are BEAUTIFUL!