Sunday, February 14, 2010

For Benjamin



Today the girls and I went to Emanuel Hospital's Children's Garden to leave a snug kitty for someone to find. This little guy was made at our Valentine Workshop where a few neighborhood moms gathered to make felt cats and raise money for St. Vincent's Hospital in honor of our neighbor's baby, who was born and died at 24 1/2 weeks gestation. The cat came with us to Seattle this weekend, but we never found just the right place to leave him. The Children's Garden is so special to us--Elle and Livi's names are on bricks along the path, and all four of our children were born at this hospital. It always does my heart good to see lively Clara and Ellis running and playing so joyfully in the garden I visited in sadness before they were born. It seemed just the right place for this kitty to find a home. I like to imagine one of the kids from the Children's Hospital finding him--they are often brought down in little red wagons to get some air and a break from treatment. But no matter where he ends up, he helped us send little Benjamin's name out there as an inspiration for happiness.

The cat was also registered as part of The Toy Society toy drops. The Toy Society is an international project where creators of handmade toys leave free handcrafted items in public places for lucky strangers to find. Check it out!
Clara and Ellis in the Children's Garden

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that this was a really beautiful idea; such a lovely find for a lucky child. The garden was a perfect place. Oh, I've been thinking of those Boden dungarees for my little baby girl - they look lovely on! Thanks for sharing, Caroline :)