Saturday, January 09, 2010

Twelfth Night

Our "Time To Keep" challenge lead us to celebrate Twelfth Night for the first time this year. I suppose I had a few years in high school of celebrating something called "Little Christmas" on that day, but looking into Twelfth Night/Epiphany/Three Kings Day we discovered all sorts of wonderful traditions. Sadly we did not have goat-drawn sleigh races like in the Tasha Tudor book, but we did have bathtub boat races and mini-car races with prizes.

Charades with four-year-olds is hilarious and fun, and costumes were worn.I baked my first King Cake and our friend Adriana brought a Rosca de Reyes from a local Mexican Bakery.

Hers had four babies baked inside instead of the one I put in mine, which turned out to be key for happy preschoolers. She celebrated Dia de Reyes growing up in Mexico, so also brought us Mexican hot chocolate and a very tasty warm drink called ponche.The perfect thing for an indoor winter picnic!

No comments: