
This little stack of
10 aprons has been waiting the week at our house to go to Clara's school (she's been out for TWO WEEKS with a cold that doesn't seem to be improving). Big thanks to my friend Wendy, who sewed half of them--they come together really quickly, actually, but 5 was a lot faster then 10! :) It took one afternoon to cut out the 10 and then an evening and a half to sew the 5. It was about $20-$25 for materials. Not so much. Which led me to think--what if every parent made one thing a year for their children's classrooms? I know there are a zillion requests for money and time from schools. Auctions, rummage sales, foundation drives, it's endless. But I think that many of our classrooms, particularly public school classrooms, are lacking homemade. What an awesome message to send to a classroom of kids--that all of their parents create, and all of their parents think their schools are important enough to dedicate their time and industry to their class. Something sweet, something useful, something tangible that makes their day a little cozier and a little brighter. I'm thinking that when I go back to work I may issue a little challenge to the parents of my students--we'll see how it goes over. :) But wouldn't our classrooms be cozier and more inviting with fewer of those laminated smiley kids (you know the ones), a little less
Scott Foresman, and a lot more handmade love?
So go ahead--make something for your child's classroom. A math game. A bird feeder. Some pencil rolls or a pencil can. A little table. Some blank books. It doesn't need to be complicated. I'm sure your teacher would have some ideas of things the classroom needs. Post a comment to let us know what you come up with!
2 comments:
I used that exact fabric for Vivian's apron. Great minds...
That's especially funny because I made an apron for Clara when she was 2 out of the same lemon print you used for one of Vivi's aprons, too!
Post a Comment