I've been having a great deal of fun turning Clara's drawings into embroidery lately, inspired by the book 'The Creative Family' by Amanda Soule. Clara has tried some stringing and sewing with beads, lacing cards, and some yarn through plastic crochet mesh, but what she really wants to do are to use my sewing machine (no) and to sew like Mama. Amanda suggested a blunt needle through muslin, which turned out to be just the thing! She loved picking out her embroidery floss and hoop, especially since she knows I use them, too. I was amazed at how quickly she could do it on her own.
Here is one project I made as a gift with some of her drawings. The drawings are all of her friend Eve--one is just "Eve," the other "Eve with a coat and scarf," and the one I chose to embroider she told me was "Eve and her heart." I have a few more similar projects in the works--can't wait to see how they turn out!

No comments:
Post a Comment