This is the first year with no cake. The day was so busy that not a single photo was taken. Somehow, though, that seemed just right.
We spent the day fully immersed in summer and sisterhood. There was swimming to be done and ballet camp to be danced. We enjoyed a shady park and the company of friends. Bikes were ridden. Frozen yogurt was eaten (and before a late dinner, I may add). Two very sleepy sisters were put to bed after 9 pm, quite late for them. Ellis and Clara laughed and hugged and argued and ran and sang just the way sisters do, the way Ellery and Olivia would have done at age 8. My favorite moment of the day was when riding home on our bikes in the warm summer evening, more than an hour of light left at 8:30 pm. As we rode, the quiet streets proved too tempting to leave silent and Clara and Ellis raised two voices loudly, joyfully and sang:
Mr. Moon, Mr. Moon
You're out too soon
The sun is still in the sky
Go back to bed and cover up your head
And wait 'till the day goes by.
I couldn't help but wonder what those two other sisters' voices would have sounded like, and to remember the one single cry I ever had the chance to hear from them. I remember how much it surprised me, as I hadn't thought such very tiny lungs could produce such a loud, powerful infant cry. But it was impossible in this moment not to feel grateful for the two amazing sisters who are here with us, and who would not have been if things had gone differently 8 years ago. Despite how hard July 2004 was, this July is pretty terrific. We are a lucky family. Thank you, oldest, beloved sisters. Your little sisters are a wonderful gift, and we hope somehow you are able to sing along with them.
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love this article since it is one of those which truly convey useful ideas.I totally agree with you on the point of pearl gift. This is a nice article for sure.It has been long before I can find some useful articles. Your views truly open my mind.If you get a chance pop up by my page, maybe you would like pearl bracelets.You can visit our black pearl pendant. our drop pearl earrings have good quality.
Post a Comment