Sunday, December 07, 2008

Babyproofing

There's no crawling happening around here yet, but I'm a little concerned that we will return from vacation to let loose a full-fledged-crawler into the House of Miniatures. We had the luxury of being pretty lazy babyproofing with Clara--sewing machine out, cords everywhere, soaps and the occasional cleaning product stored at floor level...she just wasn't attracted to that stuff, and we seemed to be able to rely on close monitoring. Given Ellis' temper when you take things away from her, I think the distract/substitute method is going to be less effective this time around. Add into the mix that Clara is a huge pack rat for fairy-sized items and we may have our work cut out for us. I found these nifty Snapware containers in the Christmas storage section at Target--they aren't on sale yet, but if you are likewise babyproofing for a younger child, keep an eye out for a sale after the holidays! They snap closed on both sides--just perfect for a 3-yr-old to master after a lesson or two, but challenging enough to deter (or at least delay) a baby or toddler, I think. It really helped Clara to use some alliteration for the labels...I could hear her saying "Ssssstickers...S, Sssstamps...S" and noticed her pointing to the label as she put things away today. Hopefully it will also help keep her 'office' organized! Santa is bringing (I hear) a tackle box of craft supplies for her Christmas present, so hopefully that will keep small things contained, too.

2 comments:

Natalie Whisler said...

The snapware containers look great! We might have to check those out. We've really been struggling with art supply storage and keeping the art supplies away from Juliana. Inevitably a marker gets left under the table and, well... I don't want to say how many times I've pulled a marker out of Juliana's mouth while she looked up at me with a wide green/brown/blue grin.

pdxkatie said...

Lovely organization! How is your trouble spot clutter busting going? I've still got three or four places to bust. Ahhh, what comes along wih not having a big house!